There are so many people that would like to learn to play an instrument but don't know which one and where to start. You may be one of those people. As a music instructor of many years, teaching many types of instruments, let me make a recommendation. Learn to play the Piano, and here are the reasons discussed by Helene Goldnadel:
- The piano is very visual. White keys and black keys, whole steps and half steps. This makes it very easy to see how music theory works!
- The tunes produced sounds great right away. On the violin, voice or trumpet, for example, it can take years to produce a clean tone that is on pitch. This can be frustrating and even discouraging, because beautiful music has to wait. On the piano the music is instantly accessible.
- You can improvise right away! Start with all black keys - they spell a pentatonic scale. On the piano, there are no 'bad' sounding notes.
- The piano can fulfill many functions in a band - accompaniment or rhythm guitar, melody playing, soloing, walking bass lines.... the possibilities are endless, and so is the fun!
- Sing and play! Be the life of the party, knocking out the chords to known songs.
- You can play any style on the piano. From Jazz to Bluegrass and anything in between. A keyboard can imitate any instrument imaginable.
- Many tasks of a professional musician are done on the piano - composing, arranging, inputting scores for print out. Solid piano technique comes in handy no matter what your end goal is!
Because of all the points noted above, piano lessons can be fun and very rewarding. Learning to play the piano allows you to see progress very quickly and therefore stay motivated to improve.
To learn more, please visit here: http://helenegoldnadel.tv/